Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Newcomer's Coffee

Jen here.

Take a look at the view from the steps of the Repulse Bay Club, a private club where Roy teaches a Saturday morning chess class. Beautiful. You can swim in Repulse Bay, or just lay out on the beach. If you don't like that, however, you can become a member of this club and swim in a pool, having a view of the bay. And if that's not good enough for you, the RBC has an indoor pool! :) The view is the closest thing to Washington's beauty...when we visited HK in April, this was my favorite place in HK. :) Roy and I took this photo on the way to his Chess class there. I went with him and got to chill and read. I love the view. :)

On a different note, through a series of God-ordained events, I was invited to a Newcomers Coffee event held at the home of a woman named Vicki last Friday. Vicki is from Houston, Texas, but has lived in HK for 4 years so far. She attends a Baptist church here, and runs this Newcomers ministry with two other women. There were about 10 women there, four of us were newcomers. We chatted, drank tea/coffee, and snacked on fruit and desserts. Mmm...it was such a welcoming atmosphere. The women cared about me; they showed an interest in getting to know me. It was a strong contrast compared to Thursday's Bible Study...now granted, the purpose of Thursday's Bible study was not to welcome newcomers...but I think loving people and inviting them into community should be part of our heart all the time, even at a lunch-time Bible study.

The women gave us some helpful books and resources for HK. I have been studying the sweet map book almost every day, and I look forward to reading the other books. What a great idea for a ministry for a church! Praise Jesus. :)

1 comment: