Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Edge

Jen here. "You are in bear country" WHAT??? This sign might as well read "Where your every childhood nightmare comes true".
Wild animals have been in my nightmares since I was young. Wolves, cougars, dinosaurs (thanks, Jurassic Park), bears and the dark sum up most of my scariest dreams. I grew up in rural Idaho, so these things were a reality (except the dinos...).

Living in WA is a blast, but what if we run into a wild animal?

Just the other night Roy, Dale and I watched the movie "The Edge". I chose it (it was my fault!). It is about three city guys who crash in middle-of-nowhere Alaska and while they not only need to survive and wander their way back to civilization, they also have a "ravenous bear" stalking them. This huge, scary, Kodiak bear eats one of the guys alive and continues stalking the other two men because "once the bears got the taste of humans, that's all he wants". Yikes.

And the next day we went on a hike in the mountains....Praise be to God, there were no ravenous Kodiak bears stalking us...

That evening I was so afraid. I was nervous. I kept thinking about the bear in the movie and wondering if there was a bear outside (in the city?), maybe one looking at me right now! Ahhh!!!

Bad place to be. I needed Jesus. I ran to God's Word, searched for the word "fear" and wrote down every verse that applied. By "applied" I don't mean every verse where God told people not to fear the Kodiak bears... Verses where God comforted His people and protected and defended them. Verses about trusting in God and not fearing those who can kill the body. Verses about fearing God, and about God as our Refuge and Shield.

Reading God's Word brought me back to Earth, reminding me of my AWESOME God who is head over all creation, who made all things, who shut the mouths of the lions to save Daniel and who made the donkey speak to Balaam. God is so much bigger than I make him out to be. He loves you, and me intimately. He is able to calm all my fears and defend me. He works all things for my good and His glory. What peace to rest in Jesus. Amen!

Enjoy a few of the verses:

Deuteronomy 31:8 "It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."

Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 33:18-21 Behold, the eye of the LORD is on those who fear him, on those who hope in his steadfast love,that he may deliver their soul from death and keep them alive in famine. Our soul waits for the LORD; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O LORD, be upon us, even as we hope in you.

Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Proverbs 19:23 The fear of the LORD leads to life, and whoever has it rests satisfied; he will not be visited by harm.

Jeremiah 17:7-8 "Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose trust is the LORD. He is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the stream, and does not fear when heat comes, for its leaves remain green, and is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit."

Lamentations 3:57 You came near when I called on you; you said, 'Do not fear!'

2 Timothy 1:7 For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? [fn] And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment