Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Anniversary Surprise

Jen here. The summer was difficult. In Hong Kong we still had work, and then were a bit sad to leave new friends. Returning to the US, we spent brief time with family and then headed to Seattle to live in a new area, attend a new church and (for me) to work a new job. In all the adjustments and change, we were not without trials. Yes, we had sweet times and rejoiced in seeing friends and family again! But we were also stressed, worried, anxious and grumbly (especially me). One of my dearest friends kept telling me (as I poured out my heart to her) Roy and I are going through major life changes...of course things will be hard!

Our 3rd Anniversary is one of those heavenly sweet times between the trials. As mentioned earlier, Roy and I stayed with friends for about one month while we found and moved into our home for this year. Roy had already begun working and every so often I would go to work with him, just to be with him and get some fresh air. Roy invited me to go to work with him one August 17th and I thought nothing of it. "Sure" I said. Courtney made us pancakes to celebrate Judson's 1st birthday and then we headed to work. As we drove, Roy missed the exit to go to Chess4Life. Hmm... he must be distracted, I thought. But he didn't turn around, he just kept driving down 405 South. Something's funny. He began talking of taking the morning off...or maybe the day off. We could go to Mt. Rainier, he suggested. I love mountains, especially Mt. Rainier and I hadn't been there before. I've only seen the colossal mountain from 3 hours driving distance away...and it still looks huge.
As it turns out, Roy planned a surprise anniversary get-away, and expertly, I must say. I had no idea. We kept driving and headed into Mt. Rainier National Park. We went toward Sunrise, an area of the park with a visitor center and spectacular views and hiking trails. We chose a trail and hiked. BEAUTIFUL. AWESOME. Wildflowers everywhere (check the photo!) and God's awesome creation of mountains. Mmm... As the day went by, the depth of Roy's plans began to show. He packed some things in the trunk and every once in a while he would grab something out--maybe my tennis shoes, or hiking pants or my camera. This is more than just a day trip, I thought...but I'm going to soak it in no matter what it is. :)
Roy spoke of returning to civilization in time for Community Group and asked what I wanted to do. I made up my mind: let's spend time together instead of rushing back. We slowly drove around the park, stopping at overlooks and shooting many pictures. When we exited the park, Roy was following secret driving directions to somewhere, and it turned out to be a cabin he rented! Ah! :) How precious! He carried me in and set me on the couch while he brought in the rest of our stuff. Aww....
I could go on forever. :) The whole plan unfolded was two nights and three days in the cabin just a few miles from Mt. Rainier National Park, followed a day and night in the city. We made meals for one another, sang to the John Denver CDs, played Scrabble, built a fire, ate s'mores, soaked in the hot tub and just relaxed together. It was a wonderful time!! I cannot describe how sweet our time together was. :) Praise Jesus for that huge grace! And thanks to Roy for planning it!

"Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved, but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds His people from this time forth and forever." -Psalm 125:1-2

1 comment: