Wednesday, March 24, 2010

More Ms of HK

After writing my first "M" post, I asked Roy for "m" words and he listed off at least 50! I missed so many words, I should be ashamed. :) Here are some more:

M
TR- the underground train (aka: subway or metro for US people); So easy to get almost everywhere, except where we live. :) We can take the MTR most of the way and then catch a multitude of buses the last leg home.

Mong Kok- MTR stop where one of Roy's Chess classes is located. It is also home to the "Ladies Market", an outdoor market where you can buy anything from racing jackets and sunglasses to jade buddhas and Chinese wall hangings. Purchases thus far: backpack, wall hangings, jade dragon, and wall hangings.

M47- one of the many buses we can catch to Central, the location of IFC Mall (so western) and Exchange Square (bus depot)

Money-HK money is so colorful. See the photo: The $100 is red, many of the $20s are blue, some are green, $50s are green, $10s are purple and pink, $500s are brown and $1000 are gold-brown. Conversion rate: $1US=$7.8HK

Malaysia- I have met multiple people who are from Malaysia. And apparently just about everyone in Malaysia speaks English, and Malay. Cool.

Wet Market-An outdoor market where you can buy fresh fruits, veggies, raw meet and even cooked foods. They are everywhere! It seems each district has it's own. The first time I went to one to buy stuff, I dropped my wallet and left without knowing it!! Oh no! I was in the Park N'Shop getting ready to buy a few things and...no wallet! I rushed back, scanning the ground and as I went. As soon as I walked onto the floor that had fruits and veggies one of the men flagged me down and told me he turned my wallet into the office. He showed me to the office where I had an interesting time communicating with the officer. He had my HK ID card out, could clearly see my photo and I still had to identify somehow that it was mine. Hmm...how many other blondie girls with brown eyebrows has he seen in Kennedy Town? No, I was actually praising Gd that I received my wallet back! Just a few days prior I memorized my HKID number...and had just learned how to say my numbers in cantonese. So I started out "chat baat....etc etc...luk" hooray! It was my ID after all! Everything was still in my wallet--money, ID card, octopus card (which has money on it useful on public transportation, at 7-Eleven, McD's, Park N'Shop and various other places), etc. Yay!

Motion-sickness-Roy gets this while he's on the double-decker bus heading up to his classes on the Peak. No fun. :)

M
ovies- We've seen two Asian-made movies in theater and both were not the greatest. One was just really sad (Hyundae--a mega-tsunami hits South Korea) and the other was just...ugh (Warrior and the Wolf). The Warrior and the Wolf just left us thinking, what happened? What's going on? Huh? I'm confused... Must be a lot of cultural stuff we don't know. :)

Miss- family, friends, washington's beautiful mountains, the Puget Sound, cool clean air, the sunset on the corn fields in Circleville, riding my bike, driving a car (but not getting it fixed), Laurelville apple cider, Mom's chocolate chip cookies, and my dear sister Katie. :)

1 comment: